|The lighting on the bottom is quite awful|
Here are some close ups with better light.
I wasn't trying to make anything particular, but it came out looking like some sort of twisted creature.
This isn't really a true zentangle, but it had the same effect on me. Drawing repetitive shapes and patterns can lull you into a peaceful state (no wine required although if it's a good Zin I'll make an exception.)
Zentangle is a process I used a lot when I taught kids. We would find large rocks and create zentangles on them with colored sharpies. It's low pressure because it's just repeating a pattern, so it takes away some of the fear of not being good at art.
Taking away the fear, helps adults get back into art making too, so if you've never tried it, just google "How to Zentangle" and you will find lots of resources. These are also used in a lot of coloring books for adults that are out there.
Some people (like my friend Shirley) create incredibly detailed art using repeating patterns. It can take many, many, many hours to get into that much detail but the results are impressive.
Here's an easy tutorial from Craftwhack to get you started.
You can also find out more on the official Zentangle website.
Here Are Some of the Benefits copied from their website:
- Simple and quick access to mindfulness
- Non-verbal journalling
- Insomnia (Improved sleep by creating Zentangle art before bedtime)
- Panic attacks (For fear of flying, creating Zentangle art during takeoff and landing)
- Modify behavior
- Being part of a supportive and fun community
- Create beautiful works of art
- Nurture and develop creative abilities
- Relieve stress
- Improve eye/hand coordination
- Develop/rehabilitate fine motor skills
- Team building and group focus
- Anger management
- Addiction therapy tool
- Diet aide
- Early artist development and appreciation
- Increase attention span and ability to concentrate
- Home schooling
- Problem Solving
- Design inspiration
- Stretching and warm-up for artists
Happy tangling and feel free to share if you've tried this, like it, hate it or lost 30 pounds using it.